Thursday, July 21, 2016

A visit to America's oldest jeweler - Shreve, Crump & Low

I first walked into Shreve, Crump & Low, while on Newbury Street, to obtain information about how to clean diamond rings at home.  This information will be shared in a future post, but I also walked in knowing I had another mission to fulfill. 

That mission??? To keep finding New England businesses, or those who got their start in New England, that are unique, have a great story to tell, and exude "fine living" qualities no matter what the price point is. 

My visit to Shreve, Crump & Low absolutely fit my check list and then some.  Their story in a nut shell?  With a start in Boston in 1796, they are the oldest jeweler in America and what a story it is. At then end of this post, you I have included a link to their website and also their historic timeline.  

In the meantime, here are just a few stunning items I got to view.  I was like a magpie drawn to every glittery item hopping from case to case.  As soon as I saw one piece of jewelry, that lured me in, my eyes were being distracted by another piece and I could not wait to move on and hear more about it. Let me just say, my jewelry wish list has just gotten a little longer :-).   


This little beauty, a 20 plus carat tanzanite and diamond ring, called my name as I walked by the case.  Did I mention I LOVE tanzanite?  At one point it was a consideration to use tanzanite in my wedding ring, but I was informed it would be too fragile for everyday wear.  This glamorous ring would be perfect to wear to a gala, cocktail party, or a "just because it's fabulous" party.


I am always drawn to the estate jewelry section when visiting jewelers.  There is something to be said about knowing someone else enjoyed and loved a piece of jewelry. For the fun of it, I create my own stories of their history if there is not one to be told. The watch above is a vintage Shreve, Crump & Low piece that made its way back to store to be enjoyed yet again. 


Also in the estate jewelry case.... Sapphire and diamond rings and so much more!



There are three locations:Boston, MA - Chestnut Hill, MA - Greenwich, CT
BOSTON JEWELRY, WATCH & GIFT STORE

No comments:

Post a Comment