Friday, January 28, 2011

Bathroom Before and After Project

A few months ago, I worked on a bathroom re-design for a client.  I have worked with them for 12 years and I patiently waited to revive this room!  It was screaming "help update me!".

The before:  These fish are going, going, gone! The look was fine for my 20 year old client when she was little, but now it was time to add more space and create a style that represented her (while also keeping in mind the style of the home and that they were going to sell the house some time soon).


The list wish list they asked me to work from:

Keep the mirror and lighting   -  Create more storage that can hold boxes, towels, and photos  -  Change the floor tiles  -  Crisp simple lines  -  Oval sink (I suggested an under the counter sink)  -  New fixtures   -  New Counter top  -  New wall accessories  -  Use of blue in the design with a fun touch  -  Shaker style doors WITHOUT mitered corners  -  Keep it within their budget (I knew I would be able to come in under budget with my creative shopping)

After our consultation, I went home drafted a new design that took care of everything on their list.
Working off of my drawing, solid maple cabinets were custom created and painted  by my cabinetry maker.  Soon after the installation, my client added blue glass knobs that she found. What fun and so easy to change for a new look down the road.   The granite is a remnant from my granite supplier.  This really helped stretch the budget.
Another view of the before.  Look at all of the wasted space in that corner!  This is where I created an open floor to ceiling shelf.  At moms request,  I did have to talk her daughter into letting me change the sink.  The compromise.... it was put in storage for her.

This dark photo does not do the room justice.  I wish you could see that the black granite had touches of steel gray/blue that worked beautifully with the wall color.


The old bathroom floor and toilet before they got ripped out by the contractor.











The new ceramic floor that cost less than $1.00 per square foot.

You can also see a glimpse of the new toilet.  I selected the color bisque for that and the sink.  I forgot to mention  I had to work around a camel colored shower stall that guided me in the floor and fixture selection.  You can see a wee little bit of the shower stall next to the blue wall on the right. 

No comments:

Post a Comment