Thursday, December 9, 2010

Making Sugared Pecans

I was going through some of the older recipes and photos on my web site, and this is one of my all time favorites. I am ashamed to say that this might be the first time in many years that I will not find time to make my sugared pecans.The month is flying by and I am focusing on my clients parties (I have my own coming up and my house and my menu is not ready!)  Last year, one of my friends came over and we made a HUGE batch to give out to all of our friends and relatives. This sugared pecan recipe is so easy.  Just make sure they are not too close to the oven element (top and bottom) unless you want black and burnt pecans.  Ick!


Warning.... if you are making them for gifts... package them quickly before everyone eats
them on you.

1 pound pecan halves
1 egg white
1 teaspoon cold water
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
 One thing I love when baking, is using my grandmothers mixing bowl.  I have a couple of them . One has a few cracks inside, and I know it is only a matter of time, but I cherish the memories.  

  1. Preheat oven to 250 degrees.

  2.Beat egg white with  water until fluffy.

  3. Fold pecans into egg whites until well coated.

  4. Mix cinnamon, sugar and salt together then fold       
       coated pecans into the dry mixture.

Bake on a cookie sheet for 1 hour. Serve warm.


 The first year I did these, I did not use parchment paper on the cookie sheets and let me tell you, it was a pain in the you know what to get them off.  The following years, I used the parchment paper and the pecans were flawless. 




The year I made these, I gave them all away in mugs with my friends initials on them.  these were only three of about 20 mugs.  Last year, some of my friends got wine mugs (beer glasses for the guys). 

1 comment:

  1. Great gift idea, mugs are always handy and those sweet treats sure make them extra special

    ReplyDelete